Made It

Smashbomb Smashbomb Genius

Friday 2 December 2011

My TMA01

Twelve Hours

The window reflects, strange distorted face
The image through the glass, cold, and dark
The pond, once beautiful, now an evil place
The landscape barren and stark
He turns, she still sits there
The photos and memories scattered before
Absentmindedly wipes away a lock of hair
And waits for the knock on the door
The man enters and looks down
He is sorry to disturb at this tragic time
And when he looks at me all he sees is a frown
And from the mantel clock there rings a chime

Just a few questions is all he says
And I turn and look out of the window once more
Yesterday was one of my darkest days
A day that rocked me to my core
She answers with a yes or a no
Doesn’t really know what is being said
And I turn and I shout at the top of my voice
‘For god’s sake sergeant our daughter is dead’
He sees the tears and looks embarrassed at the floor
And she still can’t look at me, not the way she used to
And he talks again for a few minutes more
Apologises and leaves, alone again are we two

Though I want to reach out and tell her it’s ok
I know in my heart that we each blame each other
We both want to talk, though have nothing to say
Then the phone rings again, this time it’s her mother
The tears start again and I feel hollow inside
I wonder what more I could have done
And I feel angry at myself for I still haven’t cried
And I turn and stare back into the sun
I feel like a man who has just lost his soul
And I know this feeling won’t ever go away
I should be the man, and just take control
but I can’t, I am not the man, not today

I can still feel her body as I lifted her out
The lights flashing behind me eyes
And in the darkness beyond I could hear shouts
And a series of pain laden cries
The kiss that I gave her to say one last farewell
The squeeze of her hand, simple thing
And I swear I could hear the last toll of a bell
As if the end of my life it did bring
Now I stand here alone, nothing inside
And she sits there and stares right through me
It’s been only twelve hours since our little girl died
Was it fate, our neglect, or a tragedy?

©Sonofdel 2011

I wrote this only a couple of weeks ago.  This was my original draft for my first exam on my OU course. I had to take an incident and make it into a poem.  It had to have impact and tell a story.  I got an 83 mark for this (although the final version had to be cut to 36 lines maximum)

No comments: