Made It

Smashbomb Smashbomb Genius

Monday 2 November 2009

Daily Poem

Do You Believe

I told them it was bullshit, ghosts and spooks indeed
The lies they tell each other, hungry for other mouths to feed
They look at me as if I don’t know what I am talking about
But tell me do you believe in ghosts, and that spooks at night come out?
It isn’t that hard to see how these stories start
Someone sees something they can’t explain and doubles the beat of their heart
They talk in babbled chatter so no one can understand
Reach for people’s imaginations and any helping hand

Well I listened to their banter one too many times
Dead men walking, yes right, and I committed a thousand crimes
I laugh at them for thinking and for believing in such bull
Well I will show them there is no such thing because I have had a bellyful
The gates of the cemetery close at half past nine and I will be there
And I shall spend the night, ghosts and spooks see if I care
Well I am here at the gates and they are not that high
And as I climb over them the night starts to sigh

With the first sight of the moon, comes the noises of the night
The owls sounding out and the bats take to flight
The stones all look like teeth waiting for the right dentist to come along
To extract the rotted green ones, and to fix those that are wrong
The echoes of dogs barking assault my ears and resound in my head
But those are the only sounds, not a whimper from my audience of dead
Well I must have dozed off, leaning on this grave stone
It’s strange but I have a feeling that I am no longer alone

What is stopping me from rising, why can’t I move at all
And all around me the earth ruptures and the stones start to fall
It appears that the dentist is death, and extraction time has begun
And as the moonlight assaults my eyes I realise I need to see the sun
Gnarled fingers tear at me, trying to drag me beneath
The cemetery lights fade in the dark, why did I say I didn’t believe?
Their rotted flesh chokes me and their dead breath assaults me
And their bodies clamber closer as their gazes rest upon me
So I try to struggle away but they won’t let go,
Why are they here and what do they want, does anybody know?
 I know I will die here and no one can hear me shout,
Clinging to life like a straw in a lake help me I need to get out

©sonofdel

No comments: