Made It

Smashbomb Smashbomb Genius

Wednesday 20 November 2013

Birthday Joy and England Woe

Well Sunday night I did what I said and watched 'Kelly's Heroes'.  Its a good film with some funny moments and although its down as starring Clint Eastwood and Telly Savalas, the actor that steals it for me is Donald Sutherland.  He play a kooky hippy type soldier called Oddball (well named) and his antics are what make the film as funny as it is.  Worth watching and I have to say its the first time I have seen it.  I would give it **** (4 stars) for its humor and characterization.

I was only going to watch the one film but I decided to watch a second and this was the excellent 'Dirty Harry'.  Now I know this is not everyone's cup of tea but to me it epitomizes what early 70's action films were.  Nine times out of ten there was some killer who a bedraggled cop would spend the entire movie following and eventually either capture or kill.  In this case its slightly different as the killer in question has no motive for what he does other than money and the fun of killing.  He is a warped character who happens to fall on the wrong side of Clint Eastwood's dark character of Detective Harry Callaghan.  He is the said Dirty Harry and throughout the film we get to witness a portrayal of a less than perfect cop.  He is always prepared to do what is necessary to get the job done.  This film is definitely a ***** (5 star) for me and certainly one of the best 1970's cop films.  It was so good it went on to spawn four more sequels and its the second one of these (Magnum Force) that I should be watching tonight.

Monday 18th November and it was my lovely Deb's Birthday.  I think she had a good day and I dedicated the whole day to her.  Whatever she wanted to do, we did.  This entailed going to town and spending a couple of hours shopping and browsing.  We had a lovely meal in the evening of jacket potatoes (Deb's choice) and then in the evening we settled down to watch a film called Now You See Me.  Its a clever film that is hard to define.  It has the elements of a heist film, a thriller, a whodunit and a mystery.  We enjoyed it and thought that it was very clever in its execution.  The cast included Mark Ruffalo, Woody Harrelson and Isla Fisher.  It also had the great names of Sir Michael Caine and Morgan Freeman as supporting cast.  All in all definitely worth watching and I would give it **** (4 stars).

Tuesday and the temperature appeared to have dropped or maybe it was just me.  It was time for the thermals and two pairs of socks (am I getting old??).  Didn't do a lot today other than a walk around the village and some emails and surveys.  Deb found a cool site for the wedding preparations and we talked some more about various aspects of the wedding.

In the evening I watched the eagerly anticipated England v Germany friendly and to be honest I was a little disappointed.  It ended 1-0 to Germany but I don't think any team deserved to win it and a draw would have been a fair result.  Germany were ok at times but didn't really wow anyone.  England tried hard to get a goal but other than an unlucky 30 yard strike from captain Steven Gerrard that just went over the bar and an equally long range strike from Andros Townsend that struck the base of the post, we didn't really look like we had any ideas.  I know for certain that if there had been anything at stake then this would have been a much better encounter.

In contrast before this match started the England U21 played a world cup qualifier against the minnows of San Marino and absolutely wiped the floor with them.  It ended 9-0 and yes you read it right 9-0.  It could have been even more such was the difference in the teams on the pitch.  It was a goal fest and though I enjoyed it I was startled to hear that San Marino have played I think its 90 competitive games and conceded over three hundred and sixty goals while only scoring twenty something.  Absolutely amazing that they keep going !!!!!!!!

Did nothing after the football other than more emails and internet stuff.

No comments: