Made It

Smashbomb Smashbomb Genius

Saturday 12 November 2011

Passage of Innocence


It was ok to start with well it was just a game
I am Scoz, that’s what they call me, though it aint my real name
We were just a group of kids, mucking about on the street
Just dossing and trashing things, it was kinda neat
We met up together one night in a park
Just smoking and drinking and fooling about in the dark
Harmless abuse shouted at passers by
Looking for trouble with a teenagers eye

Littering streets didn’t seem that bad to us
People complained but we didn’t give a hell about the fuss
The odd fight here and there, nothing that bad
And sometimes a bit of graffiti but none of us were mad
That was how it was just a game and a bit of fun
Until that night down the park when there appeared a gun
Can’t remember where we got it, don’t really want to think
But it’s amazing how your mind works when it’s been fuelled by drink

None of us had any money but we needed some more booze
A good idea to pretend to rob we thought we had nothing to lose
So the corner shop that opened late seemed a good place
And the man who served he hated us, and I couldn’t stand his face
So I walked in bold as brass and aimed it at him there
And told him I wanted money but all he did was stand and stare
And then he started laughing at me like it was just some joke
But I wasn’t having any of it because I was drunk and broke

Then he started coming towards me shouting abuse all the time
Told me he would call the police telling them I had committed a crime
And he reached for me and tried to take the gun from out of my hand
And I swear it went of by accident though no one understands
His expression changed from smiling to a look of outright fear
And as I saw the blood cascade from him as he stumbled ever near
And I dropped the gun and ran from there as fast as I was able
And ran for my life down the streets on legs that were unstable

Well I got caught and now I face a prison term real soon
I sit here in this cell and through the bars I see the moon
And I wonder if I will ever get the chance to live again
Or will I be incarcerated, a prisoner in my brain
I hear the footsteps closer now and I know my time is here
And my defence has told me state the facts in a voice so crystal clear
But what more can I say than what obviously makes sense
I have lost my way as I walked down my passage of innocence

©Sonofdel 2011

I wrote this because I know that as a teenager everything you do seems like a joke or a laugh.  This shows how it can escalate and suddenly it is not so funny any more.  I know a lot of kids today just think that they can get away with anything. Wrong.

No comments: